oFc JKA Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4 Empty Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4

Post by Artificial Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 am

We've all at least heard of Doom 3. Super dark lighting, monsters jumping out at you from closets and closed doors 24/7, etc. Basically, it tried to be a horror game.

And now Doom 4 is in development and it has been stated right out that they plan to ditch the Doom 3 way of gameplay and focus it back on Doom 2.

But here's the thing. What they SHOULDN'T overlook is that most the core of Doom 3 itself, the enemies, the weapons, the moviement, etc. were all fantastic. It was a brilliant re-imagining of an old franchise. The problem, the thing that was the crap bullet to the head of Doom 3, was its technical level design. For instance, why is everything so CRAMPED? Further, why is everything always so freaking DARK? These two things are, far and away, the biggest contributors to Doom 3's failings as a single player game.

By having everything cramped, that means that much fewer monsters can be in an area of a level. The darkness makes it frustratingly hard to shoot them sometimes as well. So they put 2 big fat technicalities in the way of how the gunplay should be. Fast, furious, and destructive instead of such a baby walk. It doesn't take a genius to compare enemy counts in Doom and Doom 3. As one can see, the 2 games look like polar opposites. I mean, you have all of these awesome weapons and the game never really gives you a chance to use them to their fullest potential.

This is why it failed. I found I was definitely having the most fun with Doom 3 when a lot of monsters were in one area and I had the (formidable) firepower to bring them all down. Gentlemen, it can't get any clearer. Doom needs to be well lit for at least most of its area and enlarged. It should also have ample supplies for the people who seek them too but that's a minor point. It should have had lots of ACTION, instead of lots of slow walking and shooting (occasionaly Laughing )

Now, having given that HUGE spiel and putting those 2 massive issues aside, I personally thought Doom 3 was VERY well made from the bottom up. Just the presentation itself definitely shows how much they put into this game financially, physically, and mentally. I feel, had it kicked those 2 (pardon my french) fatass issues aside, it could have been one of the best SP games of its time.

Anyway, sorry for the thesis but I've thought about this for a while and I needed to get it all down.
Artificial
Artificial

Holocron Points : 53

Back to top Go down

Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4 Empty Re: Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4

Post by rattler Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Um... never played a Doom game. My first FPS was Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. I think the most violent FPS I have is Aliens vs Predator... scratch
On the bright side... I saw the movie Doom. bom
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat
Holocron Points : 74

http://rattler20200.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4 Empty Re: Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4

Post by Artificial Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:24 pm

rattler wrote:Um... never played a Doom game. My first FPS was Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. I think the most violent FPS I have is Aliens vs Predator... scratch
On the bright side... I saw the movie Doom. bom
AvP2 is awesome online but the Predator is OP'd.

You know, I thought it was actually more fun to watch someone play Doom 3 than to watch Doom, the movie. How sad is that?
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer. Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:47 pm

The Doom movie has Karl Urban in it. Therefore it is the greatest movie ever...

Spoiler:
Archer.
Archer.

Goat
Holocron Points : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Battousai Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:52 am

I give props to karl urban and the FPS sequence in the movie, the rest is crap, as for Doom 3 itself I've never played only seen it, seemed fine to me except for the bullshit about not being able to fire your weapon while holding a flashlight and vice versa. I have played both Doom 1 and 2 though, those are epic imo.
Battousai
Battousai
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Tiger
Holocron Points : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:01 am

Battousai wrote:I give props to karl urban and the FPS sequence in the movie, the rest is crap, as for Doom 3 itself I've never played only seen it, seemed fine to me except for the bullshit about not being able to fire your weapon while holding a flashlight and vice versa. I have played both Doom 1 and 2 though, those are epic imo.
Yeah, it was indeed still fun but when you play it, you know in the back of your mind it could have been a whole lot better.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by rattler Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:04 pm

I have AvP2, but I was referring to the 2010 AvP game.
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:52 am

rattler wrote:I have AvP2, but I was referring to the 2010 AvP game.
Yes, I've played that as well. Skirmish was pretty darn fun. I would just use the dual pistols and go crazy with them to great effect. Never played the MP though. Didn't see much point to it when I could have just played AvP2's MP.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by rattler Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Dual Pistols?
I think you're mixing games. There is no dual wielding in AvP.
I beat SP with all three races. Never played MP though. I preferred playing Colonial Marine over Xenomorph, and Predator was ok.
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:34 am

rattler wrote:Dual Pistols?
I think you're mixing games. There is no dual wielding in AvP.
I beat SP with all three races. Never played MP though. I preferred playing Colonial Marine over Xenomorph, and Predator was ok.
Not in AvP2, you're right. It's in the first AvP. Trust me. I believe you have to find the other pistol in Skirmish though to dual wield 'em.

EDIT: Wait a tick. Did you just play the vanilla 1999 AvP or a later version of it? Because Gold Edition (The edition released right after the original.) adds at least 2 new weapons and Skirmish mode which is what I played.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by rattler Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:04 pm

I actually never played AvP1. Just AvP2 (Which I actually bought at a Used Book store) and 2010 AvP.
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:41 pm

rattler wrote:I actually never played AvP1. Just AvP2 (Which I actually bought at a Used Book store) and 2010 AvP.
Don't worry. Besides Skirmish, you're not missing much at all.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by Battousai Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:39 am

I think you are talking about AVP2 primal hunt, the expansion for AVP2, you can dual wield pistols in that game.
Battousai
Battousai
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:48 am

Battousai wrote:I think you are talking about AVP2 primal hunt, the expansion for AVP2, you can dual wield pistols in that game.
No, trust me. I've played both. It was the first one. Although, as I said, I played the Gold version and that added at least 2 new weapons so...
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by Battousai Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:17 am

That means the features of AVP2 primal hunt were added to the normal AVP2, since the gold version features both. They just put the dual wielding feature in the original game too, along with the full circle motion detector. Original AVP2 had a half circle, made it harder to detect movement behind you.
Battousai
Battousai
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:26 am

Battousai wrote:That means the features of AVP2 primal hunt were added to the normal AVP2, since the gold version features both. They just put the dual wielding feature in the original game too, along with the full circle motion detector. Original AVP2 had a half circle, made it harder to detect movement behind you.
LOL No dude, you don't understand.

I'm talking about THIS game:
Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4 256px-AvP1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_versus_Predator_(video_game)

AvP2 and all of its expansions didn't have Skirmish mode. (Sadly)
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by rattler Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4 252px-Aliens_vs._Predator_2_Box_Cover Lessons From Doom 3 And How We Can Apply Them To Doom 4 AvP-Cover

I got these two. The Xenos in the 2010 game are nastier.
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:04 pm

rattler wrote:The Xenos in the 2010 game are nastier.

I don't know about that. They're harder to control. And their sneak-attacks are too SLOW. But then, every character has a freaking slow sneak-attack.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by rattler Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Well... when I say they're nastier, I'm referring to fighting against them. In AvP2, the Xenos can wall crawl, but to attack they mostly get on the ground and charge. In 2010, they will attack from ANY angle, and will actually start going evasive when you start shooting at them. The only way I can guarantee a hit is if I bash them with my weapon to stun then unload. Doesn't work very well against Praetorians, but against standard Warriors its a decent tactic. Especially since you can't just spray and pray because you don't have the ammo to do so.
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:32 pm

rattler wrote:Well... when I say they're nastier, I'm referring to fighting against them. In AvP2, the Xenos can wall crawl, but to attack they mostly get on the ground and charge. In 2010, they will attack from ANY angle, and will actually start going evasive when you start shooting at them. The only way I can guarantee a hit is if I bash them with my weapon to stun then unload. Doesn't work very well against Praetorians, but against standard Warriors its a decent tactic. Especially since you can't just spray and pray because you don't have the ammo to do so.
Hm. How is the online portion of the game? Is it worth playing? Still somewhat active?
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by Battousai Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:04 am

All I hear about that game is people complaining about how shitty it is, of course thats the game itself, the multiplayer capability I have no info.
Battousai
Battousai
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:40 am

Battousai wrote:All I hear about that game is people complaining about how shitty it is, of course thats the game itself, the multiplayer capability I have no info.
Yeah, I heard the campaign was pretty bad. I played some Xeno campaign for about 10 min. on a friends PS3 and IMO, it wasn't that bad but it had some annoying things in it. Mainly controls (although that could be the PS3 controller's fault. Laughing ) and the slow freaking sneak attacks. And it's really bad because Aliens rely mainly on stealth to take people down in this game which is all fine and dandy but when you have 3 people instantly alerted right when you do a sneak attack and your stupid Xeno is taking his sweet time to run his claws across someone poor fools throat, yeah. Kinda ticks you off.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by rattler Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Never played online myself. And I preferred the Marine campaign on there. Pred was ok since it was all about stalking the enemy. Never liked the wall crawling.
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:40 pm

rattler wrote:Never liked the wall crawling.
It's pretty cool and very useful once you get the hang of it.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by rattler Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:01 pm

I actually got a little motion sick with that on AvP2.
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next