oFc JKA Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lucasfilm Acquired By Disney, Episode 7 In Dev

+2
Angel
Artificial
6 posters

Go down

Lucasfilm Acquired By Disney, Episode 7 In Dev Empty Lucasfilm Acquired By Disney, Episode 7 In Dev

Post by Artificial Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes, that means George Lucas will be stepping down as head of, well, pretty much everything Star Wars.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

Take all that however you will. Personally though, I'm rather excited.
Artificial
Artificial

Holocron Points : 53

Back to top Go down

Lucasfilm Acquired By Disney, Episode 7 In Dev Empty Re: Lucasfilm Acquired By Disney, Episode 7 In Dev

Post by Angel Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:55 pm

They're keeping him as a "creative consultant."

They're probably going for a smash and grab on the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if they reboot the whole bloody thing.

They're likely not going to follow the established canon.

As far as I'm concerned, "LucasArts is dead to me" [sic].
Angel
Angel
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Goat
Holocron Points : 37

Back to top Go down

Lucasfilm Acquired By Disney, Episode 7 In Dev Empty Re: Lucasfilm Acquired By Disney, Episode 7 In Dev

Post by Artificial Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Angel wrote:They're keeping him as a "creative consultant."

They're probably going for a smash and grab on the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if they reboot the whole bloody thing.

They're likely not going to follow the established canon.

As far as I'm concerned, "LucasArts is dead to me" [sic].
Psh. You know what that position means. Absolutely nothing.

So what makes you think Disney is going to go for a smash and grab? It's really hard to do that these days now what with word spreading around on the internet so fast.

Heck, the Tron sequel wasn't even half bad.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:53 pm

In case you missed it, they've already pulled off the smash and grab with Star Wars. Over. And over. And over. And Star Wars is hardly the first or last franchise to get neutered for money and survive it, even in the era of the Internet. This is largely because people are thundering morons.

The prequels, the countless shitty games, toys, spin off shows, books, etc.

As for the position of creative consultant, it actually DOES mean something, and that something is the "doctoring" of the script. He was already doing that since Ep. 4.

I'm not saying Disney is *bad* at making media, but they're professional thieves as a primary profession. The fact that most of the telecommunications and entertainment industries need to be tried for trust and monopoly laws non-withstanding, they're becoming quite excellent at making a product that looks good but sucks under the hood, not unlike several of my least favorite hardware vendors in the world, such as Apple and Microsoft's newest foray into the clusterfuck that is mobile "computing."

But this thread isn't about global multi-national corporations spitting in the face of capitalism (or perhaps winning far too hard at it?) or asinine markets. It's about the fact that a new Star Wars movie can only be a disappointment even if it's a well received critically acclaimed masterpiece that rakes in huge piles of cash. The Star Trek reboot pretty well proved that. Decent movie, as long as you don't think.
Angel
Angel
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:11 am

Angel wrote:In case you missed it, they've already pulled off the smash and grab with Star Wars. Over. And over. And over. And Star Wars is hardly the first or last franchise to get neutered for money and survive it, even in the era of the Internet. This is largely because people are thundering morons.

The prequels, the countless shitty games, toys, spin off shows, books, etc.

As for the position of creative consultant, it actually DOES mean something, and that something is the "doctoring" of the script. He was already doing that since Ep. 4.

I'm not saying Disney is *bad* at making media, but they're professional thieves as a primary profession. The fact that most of the telecommunications and entertainment industries need to be tried for trust and monopoly laws non-withstanding, they're becoming quite excellent at making a product that looks good but sucks under the hood, not unlike several of my least favorite hardware vendors in the world, such as Apple and Microsoft's newest foray into the clusterfuck that is mobile "computing."

But this thread isn't about global multi-national corporations spitting in the face of capitalism (or perhaps winning far too hard at it?) or asinine markets. It's about the fact that a new Star Wars movie can only be a disappointment even if it's a well received critically acclaimed masterpiece that rakes in huge piles of cash. The Star Trek reboot pretty well proved that. Decent movie, as long as you don't think.
You know, Star Wars fans can whine and scream and shout but like it or not, Lucas is the person who thought up all of it in the first place. He may not know how to implement his ideas properly 3/4ths of the time but in the end, the credit for the thinking of it and the running with it goes to him.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by Battousai Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:13 am

Disney and star wars? Why am I getting images of disney characters playing the original star wars characters in some silly animated comedy movie..... btw Georgie boy didn't come up with all of that shit, he tends to change his mind about how he came up with the stuff every now and then. For example the original star wars wasn't even meant to have a sequel, he said so himself, but then as time went by he started saying the he conceived the saga as 9 movies in total. Later on he just changed his again saying that it was supposed to be 6 movies all along, and this is just about the movie quantity, none of what star wars is today was conceived by him at a prime moment, the man just made the stuff as he was going and it progressively got worse with each of his minor changes to the original movies and further on with the prequel trilogy. And this is just talking about what he did conceive, a lot of what's in Star wars is borrowed, he took elements from various things such as Flash Gordon and some Akira Kurosawa films to list a few. I give him props for taking that mish mash of stuff and creating the original star wars film, since it is so damn good, but thats about it.
Battousai
Battousai
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Tiger
Holocron Points : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by E-Solo Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 am

As the oldest Star Wars geek here, and one who had read roughly 80% of the Extended Universe novels, I will say this... the resulting movies from this sale can be really good, but I am agreeing with Angel on one point, that I think the "canon" is in jeopardy...

Ep. 7??... how long after ROTJ?? and Will it sync with those several hundred stories already told?? That's my biggest worry...

I think any further movies should return earlier in timeline and focus on the thousands of yrs. that Jedi and Sith have been at wars, and make them as gritty and beautiful as the LOTR trilogy was and is...

thats my two cents
E-Solo
E-Solo
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Pig
Holocron Points : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 am

Well, I'm just gonna say this. KOTOR and Jedi Outcast have clearly shown that Star Wars in the hands of anyone other than George isn't a bad thing at all.

I'll bring up one more example. The PotC movies. All of them by Disney.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by rattler Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:23 pm

I honestly don't know what to think of the situation. However... if this ep 7 is post ep 6, they're gonna need new characters and everything.

[soapbox]
And in regards to the Star Trek reboot... the controversy over the size of the Enterprise is dead, as I have decided to put her squarely at 300 meters even. Right between the original and refit.
[/soapbox]
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat
Holocron Points : 74

http://rattler20200.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Artificial wrote:Well, I'm just gonna say this. KOTOR and Jedi Outcast have clearly shown that Star Wars in the hands of anyone other than George isn't a bad thing at all.

And as immediate counterpoints: KotOR 2, JA SP, Star Wars Christmas Special.

Artificial wrote:I'll bring up one more example. The PotC movies. All of them by Disney.

Oh yes, the movies based on an amusement park ride. Also by Disney. It's pretty hard to screw up a non-existent canon.
Angel
Angel
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:03 pm

Angel wrote:

And as immediate counterpoints: KotOR 2, JA SP, Star Wars Christmas Special.

Artificial wrote:I'll bring up one more example. The PotC movies. All of them by Disney.

Oh yes, the movies based on an amusement park ride. Also by Disney. It's pretty hard to screw up a non-existent canon.
KotOR 2 had a good start and middle. Kreia was awesome. JA SP wasn't that bad at all but wasn't really as good as JO SP for some reason that I can't quite place. I never saw the Star Wars Christmas Special.

If something doesn't follow canon, is it always a failure?
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer. Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:39 am

They aren't going to screw up canon too badly. Some things may get lost but I hardly doubt they will damage it that much. Disney bought Marvel and the Marvel movies have largely keep to canon for the most part besides looks or changing the ridiculous aspects of the comics into something not ridiculous for the movie and the first Disney produced one (Avengers) was VERY well done and they gave it to Joss Whedon of all people so I imagine they'll let people who respect Star Wars work on the new trilogy (like letting Whedon do the Avengers, and Edgar Wright with Ant-Man), and considering these new ones will be a new story with new characters, I doubt they can fuxs with the characters of the orignals so much and maybe just relate it in a way that it takes place in the same galaxy as opposed to continuing any storylines from the movies or expanded universe (which they said they aren't doing)

Church.
Archer.
Archer.

Goat
Holocron Points : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Battousai Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:40 am

As far as I'm concerned I liked Kotor 2, despite some lolwuts in the storyline and the game itself. JA SP I finished it for the sake of finishing the game but I was bored after the 3rd mission I think, the strong point is mp, and thats it. As for the Christmas special....well I did try to watch it but it was....dude just no.
Battousai
Battousai
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by rattler Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:17 pm

I guess I'm lucky to never have even heard of the Christmas special the way you guys are going. And KoTOR 2 was ok, especially with the expanded blade color options. But as we all have discussed in the past, it was an unfinished product that got pushed out too quickly. And JA... Rosh... ugh. And male Jaden's Voice actor... meh. Female Jaden seems to be the only one with a personality... sorta.
rattler
rattler
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Cat
Holocron Points : 74

http://rattler20200.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:12 pm

rattler wrote:And JA... Rosh... ugh.
Yeah, but that was the whole point. They wanted to make you hate him so it would be hard NOT choosing to end him when you get the chance. Laughing
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by Battousai Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Well, we shall see how this sequel trilogy works out. Since they already confirmed they are not gonna go with the Thrawn trilogy which was what I was expecting.
Battousai
Battousai
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Battousai Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Still the guys at Cracked give some good points in my opinion http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-reasons-you-should-be-thrilled-disney-bought-star-wars/
Battousai
Battousai
Council Admin [server]
Council Admin [server]

Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artificial Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:44 am

Battousai wrote:Still the guys at Cracked give some good points in my opinion http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-reasons-you-should-be-thrilled-disney-bought-star-wars/
Yeah, they pretty much had all of my reasons I listed too.
Artificial
Artificial

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum